Can birds eat cantaloupe? I’m glad you asked. Birds enjoy various fruits such as oranges, but can birds eat cantaloupe? Is it good for them? What about cantaloupe seeds? Let’s find out.
Can Birds Eat Cantaloupe?
Yes, birds can eat cantaloupe including the seeds, but before you start giving cantaloupe to your feathered friends, there are some ‘ifs and buts’ you should be aware of first. Continue reading to find out what’s good and bad about serving cantaloupe to birds.
Is Cantaloupe Good for Birds?
The answer is yes. Cantaloupe is good and safe for birds to eat in moderation. However, you should learn how to prepare it properly to avoid some risks.
Cantaloupe is a source of numerous nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, proteins and carbs that can benefit birds. in addition to a high moisture content (around 90.15%) that makes it a perfect treat for a summer day because it can help keep birds well-hydrated.
Down below, we’ve put together some of the health benefits of serving cantaloupe to birds.
Birds need vitamins to maintain their body functions. Below are some vitamins that animals can get from cantaloupe.
- Vitamin A is essential for birds to maintain healthy eyes and organs.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) Its deficiency cause birds to have occasional seizures, lose appetite and even death in extreme cases.
- Vitamin C helps create antibodies which are important for your birds’ immune system, and it also acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Vitamin K in cantaloupe helps birds’ blood’s ability to clot normally.
Birds need various minerals in their food. Below are few minerals that your little winged friends can get from cantaloupe.
- Potassium in cantaloupe helps reduce blood pressure and protect your birds from strokes and other diseases like osteoporosis and kidney stones.
- Magnesium content of cantaloupe helps your bird’s body to have healthy blood sugar levels in addition to a healthy heart.
Fiber: Cantaloupe consists of 0.2% fiber which helps keep birds’ digestion system in good condition.
Protein: Cantaloupe is also 0.84% protein which is important for your chicks’ growth.
Is Cantaloupe Bad for Birds?
No, cantaloupe is neither bad nor poisonous to birds. However, eating large amounts can lead to some side effects like digestion issues and diarrhea due to the high water levels.
Do Birds Like Cantaloupe?
Yes, birds do like cantaloupe; they find it tasty and would happily eat it whenever they can.
Want to make sure? Watch this video
How Much Cantaloupe Can Birds Eat?
There is no rule about how much cantaloupe your bird can eat. However, cantaloupe or any food should never make up more than 5-10% of birds’ total daily intake. You should consider cantaloupe as treats, not as a replacement for their main food. If you serve your birds cantaloupe, it should be a part of a well-balanced food.
How to Feed Cantaloupe to Birds?
Here is how you can serve cantaloupe to your birds.
- It is best to seek organic cantaloupe whenever possible.
- Wash the cantaloupe thoroughly to remove any potential contaminants from the skin.
- Remove the outer skin altogether if your birds does not like it or if you want to remove the threat of pesticide poisoning altogether.
- Chop the cantaloupe up into small slices that your birds can easily enjoy.
- Mix the cantaloupe with other foods that your birds usually enjoy.
- Start with a smaller amount of cantaloupe the first time you feed it to your birds to see if they show any negative signs. It’s wise to do this with any new treat.
Conclusion: Can Birds Eat Cantaloupe?
Yes, birds can eat cantaloupe, including the seeds in moderate amounts. It’s healthy, delicious and completely safe for your birds. However, it can cause some issues if consumed in excess.
And with so many healthy options available. Cantaloupe is best served up with other food that your birds enjoy.
Keep cantaloupe as a special treat, and don’t replace it with the birds’ main food.