Can hedgehogs eat apples? Glad you asked. Hedgehogs enjoy various fruit like bananas, but can hedgehogs eat apples? Read on to find out what’s good and bad about this delectable fruit.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Apples?
Yes, hedgehogs can eat apples, but before you start serving apples to hedgehogs, there are a few risks you should be aware of first. Keep reading to find out what’s good and bad about giving apples to hedgehogs.
Are Apples Good for Hedgehogs?
The answer is yes. Apples are good and safe for your hedgehog to eat in moderation,. However, you need to learn how to prepare them to avoid some risks.
Apples contain several nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber and carbs that can benefit hedgehogs. in addition to a high moisture levels (86%) that makes it a good food for summer months as it can help keep your hedgie well-hydrated.
Down below, we’ve put together some of the health benefits of serving apples to hedgehogs.
Hedgehogs need vitamins to maintain their body functions. Below are few vitamins that animals in general can get from apples.
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) aids in protein metabolism in the hedgehogs’ body, impacting their overall well-being from growing and repairing muscles to a healthy skin.
- Vitamin C helps produce antibodies which are vital for your hedgehog’s immune system, and it also acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Vitamin K in apples aids hedgehogs’ blood’s ability to clot normally.
Hedgehogs need various minerals in their meal. Below are some minerals that hedgies can get from apples.
- Potassium content of apples keep blood pressure in check and protect hedgehogs from strokes and other problems such as osteoporosis and kidney stones.
- Magnesium content of apples aids the hedgehogs’ body to have healthy blood sugar levels as well as a healthy heart.
- Iron content of apples is required for your hedgehog’s body to produce healthy red blood cells.
Apples consist of 2.4% fiber which helps keep your hedgehogs’ digestion system in good condition.
Are Apples Bad for Hedgehogs?
No, apples are neither bad nor poisonous to your hedgehogs. However, eating big quantities can lead to some serious side effects such as digestion issues, diarrhea and clogged arteries because of the high sugar and water levels.
Do Hedgehogs Like Apples?
Yes, hedgehogs like apples; they find them tasty and would happily eat them whenever they can.
Want to make sure? Watch this video
How Much Apples Can Hedgehogs Eat?
There is no rule about how much apples hedgehogs can eat. However, apples or any food shouldn’t make up more than 10% of your hedgehog’s total daily intake. apples should be considered as treats, not as replacement for their main food. If you feed your hedgehog apples, it should be a part of a well-balanced food.
How to Feed Apples to Hedgehogs?
Here is how you can serve apples to hedgehogs.
- It is best to seek organic apples whenever possible.
- Wash the apples to remove any contaminants from the peel.
- Remove the peel if you want to eliminate the threat of pesticide poisoning altogether.
- chop the apples up into small pieces that your hedgie can easily eat.
- Mix the apples with other food that your hedgehog eat.
- Start with a small amount of apples the first time you feed them to your hedgehog to see if they show any side effects.
Conclusion: Can Hedgehogs Eat Apples?
Yes, hedgehogs can eat apples in moderate amounts. They are healthy, delicious and safe for hedgehogs. However, it can lead to issues if over-consumed.
And with so many healthier options available out there. Apples are best fed with other food that your hedgehog eat.
Keep apples as a treat, and don’t replace them with your hedgehog’s main meal.