Can hedgehogs eat bananas? Glad you asked. Hedgehogs enjoy eating various fruit such as apples, but can hedgehogs eat bananas? Let’s find out what’s good and bad about this tasty fruit.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Bananas?
The answer is yes. Hedgehogs can eat bananas, but before you start serving bananas to your hedgehogs, there are a few risks you should consider first. Continue reading to find out what’s good and bad about serving bananas to your hedgehog.
Are Bananas Good for Hedgehogs?
The answer is yes. Bananas are good and safe for hedgehogs to eat in moderation. However, you have to learn how to prepare them to prevent some risks.
Bananas contain several nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, proteins and carbs that can serve your hedgehog.
Down below, we’ve put together some of the health benefits of giving bananas to hedgehogs.
Hedgehogs need vitamins to maintain their body functions. Below are few vitamins that hedgehogs can get from bananas.
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) helps in protein metabolism in the hedgehog’s body, impacting their overall health from growing and repairing muscles to a healthy skin.
- Vitamin C helps create antibodies which are important for hedgehogs’ immune system, and it also acts as an anti-inflammatory
Hedgehogs need several minerals in their diet. Down below are several minerals that hedgehogs can get from bananas.
- Potassium content of bananas helps reduce blood pressure and protect hedgehogs from strokes and other diseases such as kidney stones and osteoporosis.
- Magnesium content of bananas aids the hedgehog’s body to have healthy blood sugar levels in addition to a healthy heart.
Bananas are around 2.6% fiber which helps keep your hedgehog’s digestion system in good condition.
Bananas also consist of 1.1% protein which is crucial for hedgehogs’ growth.
Are Bananas Bad for Hedgehogs?
No, bananas are neither bad nor poisonous to hedgehogs. However, eating big quantities can lead to some side effects such as digestion issues, diarrhea and clogged arteries due to the high water and sugar levels.
Do Hedgehogs Like Bananas?
Yes, hedgehogs do like bananas; they find them delicious and would happily eat them irrespective of how much you give.
However, it’s possible that hedgehogs won’t like it at all, and that’s okay. Hedgehogs are different with their own dietary preferences.
If your hedgehogs isn’t interested in a specific food, there are many others that you can replace it with.
How Much Bananas Can Hedgehogs Eat?
There is no rule about how much bananas hedgehogs can eat. However, bananas or any other treat shouldn’t make up more than 5-10% of hedgehog’s total daily intake. bananas should be considered as treats, not as replacement for their main food. If you give hedgehogs bananas, it should be a part of a well-balanced food.
How to Feed Bananas to Hedgehogs?
Here is how you can offer bananas to your hedgehog.
- Seek organic bananas whenever possible.
- Wash the bananas thoroughly to remove any potential pesticides from the skin.
- cut the bananas up into small slices that your hedgehogs can easily eat.
- Mix the bananas with other food that your hedgehogs usually enjoy.
- begin with a small amount of bananas the first time you serve them to your hedgehogs to see if they show any side effects. It’s wise to do this with any new food.
Conclusion: Can Hedgehogs Eat Bananas?
Yes, hedgehogs can eat bananas in moderation. They are healthy, delicious and completely safe for hedgehogs. However, it can cause some issues if consumed in excess.
And with so many healthier options available out there. Bananas are best served up with other food that your hedgehog usually enjoy.
You should keep bananas as a special treat, and don’t replace them with the hedgehogs’ main diet.