Can rabbits eat mangetout? I’m glad you asked. Rabbits can enjoy eating various food such as coriander and sage, but can rabbits eat mangetout? Let’s find out what’s good and bad about this vegetable.
Can Rabbits Eat Mangetout?
Yes, rabbits can eat mangetout, but before you start serving mangetout to rabbits, there are a few caveats you should be aware of first. Read on to find out what’s good and bad about serving mangetout to your rabbit.
Is Mangetout Good for Rabbits?
Yes, Mangetout is good and safe for rabbits to eat in moderation. However, you need to learn how to prepare it properly to avoid some risks.
Mangetout is a source of many nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, proteins and carbohydrates that can benefit your rabbits.
Down below, we’ve put together some of the health benefits of serving mangetout to your rabbit.
Bunnies need vitamins to maintain their body functions. Below are some vitamins that rabbits can get from mangetout.
- Vitamin A is necessary for rabbits to maintain healthy eyes and organs.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) Its deficiency cause rabbits to have occasional seizures, lose appetite and even death in severe cases.
- Vitamin C helps create antibodies which are required for your rabbit’s immune system, and it’s also an anti-inflammatory
- Vitamin K in mangetout helps rabbits’ blood’s ability to coagulate normally.
Rabbits need several minerals in their meal. Down below are several minerals that rabbits can get from mangetout.
- Potassium content of mangetout keep blood pressure in control and protect rabbits from strokes and other problems like kidney stones and osteoporosis.
- Calcium in mangetout help bunnies build and maintain healthy and strong bones. The rabbits’ heart, muscles and nerves also require calcium to function properly.
- Magnesium in mangetout aids the rabbits’ body to have healthy blood sugar levels as well as a healthy heart.
- Iron in mangetout is necessary for rabbits’ body to create healthy red blood cells.
- Phosphorus content of mangetout help’s your rabbits’ body filter and remove waste from the kidneys. It also aids your rabbits in rebuilding cells and tissues.
Mangetout contain 2.6% fiber which keep your rabbit’s digestion system in good condition.
Mangetout also consist of 3.6% protein which is important for bunnies’ growth.
Is Mangetout Bad for Rabbits?
No, mangetout is neither bad nor poisonous to rabbits. However, eating big quantities can cause some severe side effects such as digestion issues and diarrhea.
Do Rabbits Like Mangetout?
Unfortunately, we can’t ask our rabbits what they like. However, finding out what rabbits like and dislikes is not really hard because if your rabbit like something, they will eat it; if they do not, they won’t eat it.
However, a lot of rabbits will enjoy eating mangetout like the one in the video down below.
However, it’s possible your bunny won’t be interested at all, and that’s okay. Just like you and me rabbits are different with their own dietary preferences.
If your bunny isn’t interested in a food, there are many others that you can replace it with.
How Much Mangetout Can Rabbits Eat?
There is no exact rule on how much mangetout rabbits can eat. However, mangetout or any other treat shouldn’t make up more than 10% of your rabbit’s total daily intake. You should consider mangetout as a treat, not as replacement for their main food. If you serve your rabbit mangetout, it should be a part of a well-balanced food.
How to Feed Mangetout to Rabbits?
Here is how you can offer mangetout to your rabbits.
- Seek organic mangetout whenever possible.
- Wash the mangetout thoroughly to remove any potential pesticides.
- Remove the outer skin if your rabbits does not like it or if you want to eliminate the threat of pesticide poisoning altogether.
- Mix the mangetout with other foods that your rabbits usually enjoy.
- begin with a small amount of mangetout the first time you give it to your bunny to see if they show any negative signs. It’s wise to do this with any new food.
Conclusion: Can Rabbits Eat Mangetout?
Yes, rabbits can eat mangetout in moderate amounts. It is healthy, and safe for rabbits. However, it can cause issues if consumed in excess.
And with so many healthy options available. Mangetout is best served up along other food that your rabbit usually enjoy.
You should keep mangetout as a treat, and don’t replace it with the rabbit’s main food.
Leave a Comment