Can squirrels eat pistachios? I’m glad you asked. Squirrels enjoy various food such as raisins and apples, but can squirrels eat pistachios? Let’s find out what’s good and bad about this tasty food.
Can Squirrels Eat Pistachios?
The short answer is yes. Squirrels can eat pistachios, but before you start feeding pistachios to your squirrels, there are some important things you should be aware of first. Keep reading to find out what’s good and bad about serving pistachios to squirrels.
Are Pistachios Good for Squirrels?
The answer is yes. Pistachios are good and safe for squirrels to eat in moderate amounts. However, you have to learn how to prepare them to prevent some risks.
Pistachios are a rich source of many nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, proteins and carbs that can benefit the health of your squirrels.
Below, we’ve put together some of the health benefits of giving pistachios to your squirrels.
Squirrels use vitamins to maintain their body functions. Below are some vitamins that squirrels can get from pistachios.
- Vitamin A is essential for your squirrel to maintain healthy organs and eyes.
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) helps in protein metabolism in the squirrel’s body, impacting their overall health from growing and repairing muscles to a healthy skin.
Squirrels need various minerals in their diet. Below are some minerals that mammals can get from pistachios.
- Potassium content of pistachios helps lower blood pressure and protect your squirrels from strokes and other problems like kidney stones and osteoporosis.
- Phosphorus content of pistachios help’s your squirrels’ body filter and remove waste from the kidneys. It also aids your squirrels in repairing cells and tissues.
Pistachios are around 10% fiber which helps keep your squirrel’ digestion system in good condition.
Pistachios also contain 20% protein which is vital for squirrels’ growth.
Are Pistachios Bad for Squirrels?
No, pistachios are neither bad nor poisonous to squirrels. However, eating significant quantities can lead to some extreme side effects like digestion issues.
Do Squirrels Like Pistachios?
Yes, squirrels do like pistachios; they find them incredibly tasty and would happily eat them irrespective of how much you give.
Want to make sure? Watch this video
How Much Pistachios Can Squirrels Eat?
There is no rule about how much pistachios squirrels can eat. However, pistachios or any treat shouldn’t make more than 10% of your squirrel’s total daily intake. You should consider pistachios as treats, not as replacement for their main food. If you serve squirrels pistachios, it should be as a part of a well-balanced diet.
How to Feed Pistachios to Squirrels?
Here is how you can offer pistachios to squirrels.
- Seek organic pistachios whenever possible.
- Make there aren’t any pesticides on them.
- Mix the pistachios with other foods that your squirrel enjoy.
- If they are ground squirrels place a couple of pistachios in a bowl on the ground of your yard..
- If they are tree squirrels you can buy a squirrel feeder and set it up for them on the tree.
Conclusion: Can Squirrels Eat Pistachios?
Yes, squirrels can eat pistachios in moderation. They are healthy, delicious and safe for squirrels. However, it can lead to issues if excessively consumed.
And with many healthier options available out there. Pistachios are best fed along other food your squirrel enjoy.
Keep pistachios as a treat, and don’t replace them with the squirrels’ main diet.
Leave a Comment