Can Tortoises Eat Apples?
The answer is yes. Tortoises can eat apples, but before you start serving apples to tortoises, there are some risks you should be aware of first. Keep reading to find out what’s good and bad about serving apples to your tortoise pet.
Are Apples Good for Tortoises?
The answer is yes. Apples are good and safe for tortoises to eat in moderate amounts. However, you need to learn how to prepare them properly to avoid some risks.
Apples offer several nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, proteins and carbs that can serve your tortoise. in addition to a high water levels (around 86%) that makes it a perfect snack for a summer day because it can help your tortoise to stay hydrated.
Down below, we’ve put together few of the health benefits of giving apples to your pet reptile.
Tortoises use vitamins to maintain their body functions. Below are several vitamins that tortoises can get from apples.
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) aids in protein metabolism in the tortoise’s body, impacting their overall health from growing and repairing muscles to a healthy skin.
- Vitamin C helps create antibodies which are required for your tortoise’s immune system, and it’s also an anti-inflammatory
- Vitamin K in apples aids tortoises’ blood’s ability to coagulate normally.
Tortoises need several minerals in their diet. Down below are few minerals that tortoises can get from apples.
- Potassium content of apples helps reduce blood pressure and protect tortoises from strokes and other diseases like kidney stones and osteoporosis.
- Magnesium in apples helps the tortoise’s body to have healthy blood sugar levels in addition to a healthy heart.
- Iron in apples is necessary for tortoise’s body to produce healthy red blood cells.
Apples consist of 2.4% fiber which helps keep your tortoise’s digestion system in good condition.
Apples also consist of 0.3% protein which is important for tortoises’ growth.
Are Apples Bad for Tortoises?
No, apples are neither bad nor poisonous to tortoises. However, eating large amounts can cause some serious side effects such as digestion issues and diarrhea.
Do Tortoises Like Apples?
Yes, tortoises do like apples; they find them delicious and would happily eat them irrespective of how much you give.
Want to make sure? Enjoy watching this video:
However, it’s possible that your tortoise won’t be interested at all, and that’s fine. Tortoises are different with their own dietary preferences.
If your tortoise isn’t interested in a specific food, there are many others that you can replace it with.
How Much Apples Can Tortoises Eat?
There is no exact rule on how much apples tortoises can eat. However, apples or any treat should never make up more than 5-10% of tortoise’s total intake. You should consider apples as a treat, not as replacement for their main diet. If you give your tortoise apples, it should be a part of a well-balanced diet.
How to Feed Apples to Tortoises?
Here is how you can offer apples to your tortoise.
- It is best to seek out organic apples whenever possible.
- Wash the apples to remove any pesticides from the skin.
- Remove the outer skin if your tortoise does not like it or if you want to remove the risk of pesticide poisoning altogether.
- cut the apples up into small pieces that your tortoise can eat.
- Mix the apples with other foods that your tortoises usually eat.
- begin with a smaller amount of apples the first time you give them to your tortoises to see if they show any negative signs. This should be done with any new treat.
Conclusion: Can Tortoises Eat Apples?
Yes, tortoises can eat apples in moderate amounts. They are healthy, delicious and completely safe for tortoises. However, it can cause some issues if consumed in excess.
And with so many healthy options out there. Apples are best served up with other food your tortoise enjoy.
Keep apples as a special treat, and don’t replace them with the tortoise’s main food.