Can tortoises eat strawberries? Glad you asked. Tortoises eat various food such as apples, but can tortoises eat strawberries? Are they good for them? What about strawberries leaves? Read on to find out.
Can Tortoises Eat Strawberries?
The short answer is yes. Tortoises can eat strawberries including the leaves, but before you start giving strawberries to tortoises, there are some important things you should be aware of first. Read on to find out what’s good and bad about giving strawberries to your tort.
Are Strawberries Good for Tortoises?
The answer is yes. Strawberries are good and safe for tortoises to eat in moderation, including the leaves. However, you have to learn how to prepare them properly to prevent some risks.
Strawberries are a great source of many nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber and carbs that can serve your tort. in addition to a high water content (91%) that makes it a perfect snack for summer days because it can aid your tortoise to stay hydrated.
Down below, we’ve put together few of the health benefits of feeding strawberries to your tortoises.
Tortoises need vitamins to maintain their body functions. Below are few vitamins that reptiles can get from strawberries.
- Vitamin C helps create antibodies which are essential for your tortoises’ immune system, and it also acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Vitamin K in strawberries helps tortoises’ blood’s ability to coagulate normally.
Tortoises need various minerals in their food. Below are several minerals that torts can get from strawberries.
- Potassium content of strawberries helps reduce blood pressure and protect tortoises from strokes and other problems like kidney stones and osteoporosis.
- Calcium content of strawberries help torts build and maintain healthy and strong bones. The torts’ heart, muscles and nerves also require calcium to function properly.
- Magnesium content of strawberries aids the tortoises’ body to have healthy blood sugar levels in addition to a healthy heart.
Strawberries consist of 2% fiber which helps keep your tortoise’s digestion system in good condition.
Strawberries also consist of 0.7% protein which is essential for tortoises’ growth.
Are Strawberries Bad for Tortoises?
No, strawberries are neither bad nor poisonous to fruit-eating tortoises. However, eating significant amounts can cause some side effects such as diarrhea, digestion issues and clogged arteries due to the high sugar and water content.
Do Tortoises Like Strawberries?
Yes, tortoises like strawberries; they find them incredibly delicious and would happily eat them irrespective of how much you give.
Want to make sure? Watch this video
How Much Strawberries Can Tortoises Eat?
There is no rule on how much strawberries tortoises can eat. However, strawberries or any other treat shouldn’t make more than 5-10% of tortoises’ total daily intake. strawberries should be considered as treats, not as replacement for their main meal. If you give torts strawberries, it should be a part of a well-balanced meal.
How to Feed Strawberries to Tortoises?
Here is how you can serve strawberries to your tortoises.
- It is best to seek organic strawberries whenever possible.
- Wash the strawberries thoroughly to remove any pesticides from the skin.
- chop the strawberries up into small pieces that your tortoises can easily enjoy.
- Mix the strawberries with other foods that your tortoises usually eat.
- Start with a small amount of strawberries the first time you serve them to your tortoises to see if they show any negative signs. It’s wise to do this with any new snack.
Conclusion: Can Tortoises Eat Strawberries?
Yes, tortoises can eat strawberries, including the leaves in moderation. They are healthy, delicious and completely safe for tortoises. However, it can lead to issues if excessively consumed.
And with many healthier options available out there. Strawberries are best served up along other food that your tortoise usually eat.
You should keep strawberries as a treat, and don’t replace them with the tortoises’ main food.
Leave a Comment