Can turtles eat celery? Glad you asked. Turtles enjoy eating various food like watermelon, but can turtles eat celery? Is it good for them? What about celery leaves and stalks? Read on to find out.
Can Turtles Eat Celery?
Absolutely, turtles can eat celery including the leaves and stalks, but before you start serving celery to your pet turtle, there are a few risks you should consider first. Keep reading to find out what’s good and bad about giving celery to turtles.
Is Celery Good for Turtles?
The answer is yes. All celery parts are good and safe for your turtles to eat in moderation. However, you need to learn how to prepare it to avoid some risks.
Celery is a rich source of several nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber and carbohydrates that can serve turtles. in addition to a high moisture content (a whopping 90%) that makes it a great snack for a summer day because it can help your turtle to stay hydrated.
Below, we’ve put together few of the health benefits of giving celery to your turtles.
Reptiles need vitamins to maintain their body functions. Below are several vitamins that turtles can get from celery.
- Vitamin A is required for your pet reptile to maintain healthy eyes and organs.
- Vitamin C helps create antibodies which are crucial for your turtle’s immune system, and it’s also an anti-inflammatory
- Vitamin K in celery aids your turtles’ blood’s ability to clot normally.
Turtles need several minerals in their food. Down below are some minerals that reptiles can get from celery.
- Potassium in celery keep blood pressure in control and protect turtles from strokes and other diseases like kidney stones and osteoporosis.
- Magnesium in celery aids the turtle’s body to have healthy blood sugar levels in addition to a healthy heart.
- Iron content of celery is crucial for turtles’ body to create healthy red blood cells.
Celery consists of 1.6% fiber which keep your turtles’ digestion system in good condition.
Is Celery Bad for Turtles?
No, celery is neither bad nor poisonous to turtles. However, eating significant quantities can cause some extreme side effects such as digestion issues and diarrhea due to the high water content.
Do Turtles Like Celery?
Yes, turtles like celery; they find it tasty and would happily eat it irrespective of how much you give.
Want to make sure? Enjoy watching the following video
How Much Celery Can Turtles Eat?
There is no exact rule about how much celery your turtle can eat. However, celery or any other snack should never make up more than 10% of your turtles’ total calories. celery should be considered as a treat, not as replacement for their main food. If you feed turtles celery, it should be a part of a well-balanced diet.
How to Feed Celery to Turtles?
Here is how you can serve celery to your turtles.
- It is best to seek organic celery whenever possible.
- Wash the celery thoroughly to remove any potential pesticides from the skin.
- Remove the outer skin altogether if you want to remove the threat of pesticide poisoning .
- chop the celery up into small slices that your turtle can enjoy.
- Mix the celery with other food that your turtles usually eat.
- begin with a smaller amount of celery the first time you serve it to your reptile to see if they show any negative signs. This should be done with any new snack.
Conclusion: Can Turtles Eat Celery?
Yes, turtles can eat celery, including the leaves and stalks in moderate amounts. It is healthy, delicious and completely safe for turtles. However, it can lead to issues if excessively consumed.
And with so many healthier options available. Celery is best served up along other food your turtle eat.
Keep celery as a treat, and don’t replace it with your turtle’s main food.